Top 5 Futsal Injuries seen by a Podiatrist
The top 5 Futsal injuries seen by a podiatrist will be discussed in this blog. It is easy to injure your foot or ankle playing Futsal. This is because the forces between your feet and the ground are amplified during this high impact activity.
- Blisters – A frequent foot injury in Futsal is the friction blister. It is caused by friction, like the repeated rubbing against the inside of the shoe. Wearing poorly fitting shoes can often set the athlete up for blisters.
- Ingrown or Black toe nails – Ingrown or bruised toe nails are another common complaint seen in the Futsal player. Once again, tight or snug fitting footwear are the culprits of these conditions.
- Plantar Fasciitis – The plantar fascia is a structure on the sole of the foot that runs from heel to toes. Running and sprinting with sudden change of direction puts tremendous load on this tissue and can cause it to become torn and inflamed.
- Shin Splints – Shin splint pain can be caused by stress on the muscles that attach to the shin bone, or by excess forces on the bone itself during running.
- Achilles Tendonitis – The last of the top 5 futsal injuries seen by a podiatrist involves the achilles tendon. The achilles tendon attaches the calf muscle to the heel bone. Futsal plays put high loads through this tendon with running and jumping and can often injure it.
The top 5 Futsal Injuries seen by a Podiatrist generally respond very well to treatment. Podiatric treatment includes assessment looking at posture and movement, and analysis of how movement of your feet affects your lower limbs.
Injuries can be caused by unnatural movement patterns that can be corrected by a number of strategies:
- Custom Foot Orthotics to address faulty foot mechanics.
- Footwear assessment and recommendations based on the athletes individual needs.
- Corrective exercises to address muscle weakness or imbalances.
- Minor surgery to remove damaged or ingrown nails.
CLICK HERE to find out what signs and symptoms to look for and if you potentially have an injury.
CLICK HERE to find out the most common futsal and football injury prevention and treatment
Seeing a Podiatrist can minimise your injury risk and maximise injury prevention. We can help get you back on the field of play sooner and keeping you there. Contact us today.