HEEL PAIN / SPURS
What is Heel Pain or Spur?
Do you have heel pain? is your pain worse in the mornings or after periods of rest? Is the pain stopping you from doing the activities you love and from enjoying your life? If so you may have Plantar fasciitis.
Plantar fasciitis is a fasciiopathy of the fascia of the bottom of the foot.
Symptoms of Heel Pain or Spur
- Heel or arch pain
- Pain worse in the mornings/after rest
- Pain at the start of exercise and after activity
Causes for Heel Pain or Spur
- Flat feet or high arched feet
- Jobs which involve long standing or walking
- Sudden change of lifestyle or exercise involving increases in standing or walking
- Tight calf muscles or fascia
- Excessive weight
- Inappropriate footwear eg. Thongs
- Hard surfaces/bare feet walking
When to see a podiatrist?
You will want to see a podiatrist if the pain does not reside within 2 weeks. This injury has been known to last for years without proper treatment.
Treatments for Heel Pain or Spur
Treatment usually involves a combination of things.
- Prescription orthotics
- Correct footwear
- Calf and fascia stretches
- Gradual increases in training or activity
- Strength programme
- Dry needling
Is the treatment for Heel Pain or Spur covered by Private Health Insurances?
Call us to find out whether your plantar fasciitis treatment is covered by your private health care provider. There are a few things to consider with your private health fund such as your level of cover, your policy waiting periods, annual limits and fund rules. It is important to know what you are up for prior to your visits to avoid unwanted, expensive surprises.
Learn more about Heel Pain in this small video