Acute inflammation we hear about it all the time but what actually is it? And are there any quick things I can do at home?
What is inflammation;
Inflammation or commonly known as swelling is the build of fluid in an area in response from your immune system to the body’s health. This can be caused by damaged tissues or an increased immune response (particular conditionings or fighting off substances that aren’t meant to be in your body i.e sickness).
Acute inflammation is a normal bodily process that your body will manage naturally within 3-5days. Chronic inflammation can arise from unhealthy lifestyle patterns and not managing inflammation properly, this can last from months to years depending.
Signs and symptoms of Acute inflammation;
- redness of the surrounding skin
- The skin around the affected area is warm to touch
- Joint pain/stiffness
- Bulging of the skin around the affected area
- Bruising around the affected area
Factors that increase Acute inflammation;
- alcohol and smoking
- High Body mass index (BMI) within obesity ranges (with the absence of muscles)
- Frequent high-intensity training or no exercises
- Chronic stress
- Poor die
Acute inflammation can be easily managed by your body, but it can also be helped with the RICE principle, which stands for Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation.
- Rest; rest is great for inflammation due to decreasing irritation the inflammation can continue to get managed by your body
- Ice; ice decreases blood flood thus decreasing fluid build-up, it also helps distract from pain!
- Compression; compression is another great way of limiting fluid build-up, compression can also help get rid of inflammation by assisting the lymphatic system
- Elevate; most fluid comes from blood, so elevate the injured area above the level of the heart to prevent the continual build-up of fluid
Blog by Christian (phyiso) – Contact us today if you have any injuries or issues that many have inflammation and see how he can help you. Contact us.